The Physical Sciences Department (PSD) is guided by the College of Science and Computer Studies's vision in developing research consciousness and skills among its faculty members.
The department focuses its scientific researches on noble discoveries in the areas of physics, chemistry and earth science. It is the goal of the department to contribute to the development of the physical resources as well as their proper utilization by the community. The PSD also conveys gained knowledge in formal education setting and industries.
To achieve the goal of the department, the researches prioritize on the following areas:
- utilization of the physical resources and its impact to the environment and culture;
- toxicological studies of environmental pollutants and their effect on the community;
- physico-chemical factors influencing the existence of biotic factors in a given area;
- chemical properties of flora and fauna in a given area.
I. Environment and Biodiversity Conservation Related Studies
- Water quality assessment of marine and coastal waters riparian systems.
- Air quality assessment
- Soil quality assessment
- Coastal resource and freshwater management
- Environmental management, and rehabilitation projects (terrestrial, marine, freshwater, coastal)
- Environmental impact assessment
II. Community-Related Studies
· Biological activity of herbal, medicinal, endemic, and endangered plants
· Toxicological studies of plants and animals
· Environmental pollutants