The Communication and Journalism Department focuses on the study of the mass mediated communication theories, principles and structure, techniques and processes, aesthetics, functions, and effects of mass media and advocacy development. The Department provides a strong foundation for graduate school as well as career opportunities in advertising, public relations, and media production.
True to its mission, the CJD will prepare and help students learn practical and creative application, theories, concepts and structure, principles and techniques, responsibilities and effects of the mass media.
To achieve this mission, the CJD adheres to fulfilll the following:
- To provide students with appropriate training for careers in communication
- To help students become more critical consumers and producers of the media
- To provide students broad and diverse course work in advertising, journalism, public relations and communication studies
- To offer high-quality educational programs which enable students to become critical thinkers and effective, ethical communicators
- To use practical, innovative experiences and partnerships to prepare students for successful communication careers
- To maintain and enhance strong relationships with alumni and community leaders, particularly from the business, government, and the non-profit sectors