The apex of all the ELCs is the Practice Teaching. It is the total immersion of the prospective teacher in the real life of becoming a teacher. During practice teaching, the pre-service teacher experiences the rudiments of teaching in a cyclical process of planning, actual teaching and evaluating learning.
The pre-service teacher, who may be called an apprentice, or student teacher intern, walks through the whole process of teaching with a mentor, who is also called the cooperating teacher. Here, the pre-service teacher puts into actual practice all that was learned in the content and theory courses, strategies or methods of teaching as well as put into test the pedagogical content knowledge acquired in related courses prior to practice teaching. Practice teaching is being held in the different partner/cooperating schools of the institution both in the public and private basic education schools.
Grades in this course will be based on the following items and performance of the practice teacher during the two shifts of deployment in the public and private schools:
- Midterm Grade (MG): First Shift; Final Grade (FG): Second Shift;
Grading System Percentage Coverage
- Class Participation 30% (Daily Teaching, Local Demo (CT)
- Attitude 15% (Cooperating Teacher & PT Supervisor)
- General Demo 15% (Cooperating Teacher, PT Supervisor & Other Observers)
- Written Reports/Output 20% (Narrative report, different forms/documentation & other requirements-PT Supervisor)
- Attendance 20% (Cooperating Teacher & PT Supervisor)
- Total 100%
Guidelines and Policies:
- You shall serve 4 days a week, 6 hours a day in your Cooperating School for the duration of the Practice Teaching Program or a total of 336 hours (2 shifts)
- Every Friday afternoon from 6:00 – 7:30, you shall report to DLSU-D, FCH 105B-107 for a conference/test/workshop/ submission of requirements with the Practice Teaching Supervisor.
- You shall log in 15 minutes before the official time and shall log out 15 minutes after the official time in your Cooperating School.
- In case of sickness or any untoward incident, you shall inform the Cooperating Teacher, the Practice Teaching Supervisor and the Team Leader of your absence at least one hour before your official time.
- An absence is considered excused only if it is caused by (a) sickness (with medical certificate) (b) family emergency (with a letter from the parent/guardian) or (c) force of nature (calamities).
- In case of excused absences, you shall do the make-up duty which is equivalent to the number of days missed which should be done after the second shift.
- You shall also be marked absent if you incur 3 times of tardiness regardless of the number of minutes late. For 1-15 minutes of tardiness, you shall do makeup duty of one hour, 16-30 minutes is two hours, 31-45 minutes is three hours, 46-60 minutes is four hours, 61 minutes and above of tardiness, you shall do makeup duty of six hours.
- For unexcused absences, you shall do makeup duty which is equivalent to twice the number of days missed. You shall likewise be given a written warning and shall receive demerits for the absences incurred.
- After 14 days of absences (82 hrs - 20% of the total no. of hours), you shall be pulled out from your cooperating school and you will receive a grade of 0.0.
- You are expected to preserve the good name of DLSU-Dasmariñas. As such, any misbehavior shall not be tolerated and shall be dealt with accordingly following a due process.
- Any problem/concern that you experienced, you shall report immediately to the Team Leader who in turn will report to the Practice Teaching Supervisor for proper action.
- When the Practice Teaching Supervisor visits a cooperating school (at least once a week) you should have aired your problem/concern to your designated team leader before a conference between the Cooperating Teacher and the Practice Teaching Supervisor is held.