In 2012, DLSU-D became a partner of the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines (IPOPHL) which aims to promote and develop IPRs and provide IP services within the region.
Originally created as the IP Division of the University Research Office (URO), the Intellectual Property Office was tasked with the functions of an Innovation and Technology Support Office (ITSO).
However, after recognizing the need to establish a dedicated office to address IP concerns and adhere to conditions of the accreditation of the IPOPHL, the Intellectual Property Office began operating an independent unit under the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research beginning SY 2020-2021 to perform expanded functions including:
- Assistance in the filing of patents, utility, models and industrial designs at the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines.
- Assistance in the filing of Trademarks at the IPOPHIL.
- Conduct of IP Trainings and Seminars within the university.
- Assistance in the formulation of contracts involving IP rights.
- Assistance in the filing of grants for DLSUD research outputs.
- Formulation and Implemention of the IP Policies of the institution.
- Assistance in the development and commercialization of DLSU-D innovations.
- Assistance in matters related to IP Protection such as copyright.
- Dissemination of IP matters within the campus.
- Performance of other matters related to IP.